Mystery Lane

Mystery Lane

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bringing Smiles

 Well we made it to sunny Florida where we were able to enjoy 14 days of beach and family time.  The best part of our travels and being out and about in Florida was Jackson’s wheelchair.  More specifically, the Christmas lights on Jackson’s wheelchair.  Who knew a string of lights would make so many people smile?

It started the morning we left Spokane.  The Southwest ticket agent was the first to comment on them.  Then the TSA Agent gave Jackson a sticker saying he had the best wheelchair he’s ever seen.  All through the airports I saw people looking at his chair and smiling.  I heard a lot of people commenting on his lights as we walked by.  The best responses came from other kids who would stop in their tracks and stare at the lights as we went by or yell “Look at the lights on his chair!”  One day we were in Target in the toy section and there was a little boy who was probably about 10 with his two little brothers.  The older boy stopped when he saw the lights.  Then he told his little brothers to look.  As Jackson went by them all 3 boys were looking and smiling.  As I walked by I said “Pretty cool lights right?”  The older boy looked at me with a big smile and said “They’re awesome!”  I was so delighted to have so many people looking at Jackson is such a happy way.  Instead of staring at his chair negatively or giving me that look of pity smile, we got to experience smiles of happiness.  I think it was the first time I actually liked the wheelchair and it changed my perception.  It seems Jackson is always teaching me new ways to think and feel.  And now his mobility device is pitching in. 

Last night I took the lights off the wheelchair.  Jackson went back to school today and I figured it was time.  I was sad to take them off.  They brought people joy and they made Jackson stand out, in a positive way.  From now on if I can find lights for every holiday – Valentines, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, etc.  – they are going to be on his wheelchair!

On another note, I am still thinking about the victims of Newtown.  Mostly thinking about their families and how hard the holidays must have been for them.  I’ve been trying to come up with ways to honor them.  I’ve decided to adopt Ann Curry’s idea of 26 Acts of Kindness.  I am going to make them last all year.  Maybe do 2-3 a month.  I’ve come up with some fun ideas and as I follow through with them I will share them on my blog.  So stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Tears of pure happiness flowed as I read your post on the lights on My Jackson's wheelchair!! I don't know HOW people can look at him any other way....he's adorable and has the best smile ever!

    ReplyDelete