Mystery Lane

Mystery Lane

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Drasus Berniukas (Brave Boy)

I was dreading our trip to Seattle, big time.  3 days in a hospital with a 2 year old is not my idea of a good time.  Jackson is a routine lover and doesn’t particularly like new places or situations.  He lets you know that by yelling/screaming/crying.  So at the thought of our Seattle trip, I envisioned something around the lines of sticking needles into my eyes, swallowing fire and walking on hot coals.  But the kid is full of surprises and he got me again.  I couldn’t have asked for anything better. 

Jackson was awesome!  He took it all in stride and barely ever complained.  He didn’t care for the lady who put all the wires on his head for the EEG, nor the lady who put in his IV (although he barely cried at all when she put it in), and our hospital room was so bright it was difficult to take a nap on Tuesday.  Other than those stumbling blocks he was his typical, happy self.  He acted as if he didn’t have 20 some wires attached to his head.  He ate, rolled around, watched movies, and charmed the staff.  It helped that Seattle Children’s Hospital was duly prepared.  The video camera in our room (which had to be on Jackson at all times) was easily moveable, they gave us a nice big mat for Jackson to roll around on, and they had a nice high chair for him.  I was immensely impressed by the hospital, it is an amazing place.  My only complaint was the food for Jackson.  It was awful.  I’m not a health nut but I do like to feed Jackson good, healthy food (except on Thursday’s after pool therapy when he gets his weekly McDonald’s cheeseburger and chocolate shake).  The soggy chicken nuggets and fries served to Jackson the first day just didn’t cut it.  Luckily I had brought some of his favorite snacks from home and food deliveries from our friends helped (thanks Inger and Karla!). 

The worst of our trip was saved for the last day – the PET Scan and MRI.  Jackson had to be put under for those tests and the two hours between putting the IV in his hand and the anesthesiologist arriving was too long.  It was quite a task to keep the IV tube out of his mouth for two hours.  Plus the poor kid couldn’t eat and was starving.  But again, he handled it pretty well.  I can’t say the same for me, I was frustrated at the long wait and I was nervous about them putting him under and taking him away.  As they were finishing putting him under, Kevin and I were out in the hallway waiting to be taken to the recovery area.  I was trying not to cry and kept wondering how I ended up here.  I just wanted a baby and the next thing I know I am in Seattle Children’s Hospital, with that baby I so wanted being put under anesthesia for the 3rd time in his short life.  I sometimes can’t fathom the journey I am on because of Jackson.  I also sometimes can’t fathom not being on this journey.  Either way, I am on a journey that my beautiful little boy has sent me on. 

After the tests and final appointments we were finally discharged and headed home.  In a moment of truly perfect timing, as we drove out of the parking garage and away from the hospital, Jackson began laughing.  Obviously he shared our enthusiasm for having this experience over with. 

Now we just have to play the waiting game.  The team of doctors and specialists will meet either this Monday or next Monday to discuss the results of the tests and to determine if there is any kind of surgical procedure that may stop the seizures.  They will send the results to our neurologist here in Spokane and then we will meet with him.  It’s going to be a test of my patience waiting for the call from our neurologist!

On a final note, thanks to everyone for all the support you have shown us on our Seattle excursion.  I can’t tell you how much it has meant to me!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad the trip went well! I was thinking about you guys earlier this week. Hope the wait time goes quickly. Best wishes.