Mystery Lane

Mystery Lane

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Showing Love

When you have a non-verbal child you are desperate to hear certain words.  At the top of my list are: Mommy, Daddy, and I Love You.  But this week I learned yet another lesson from my baby boy, he doesn’t have to say it, he shows it.  I’m talking about the words “I love you.” 
This past weekend I went to Denver for 3 days to visit my step-mom Sandy who has ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease).  My time with Sandy is limited and it was the first of many trips ahead to try and build some more memories with her.  We had a great time and I was so happy to have the time with her.  I did, however, miss my little Jackson a bunch (and Kevin too).  The morning after getting home and not seeing him for 4 days, I went in to get him out of his crib.  As soon as I said “Good morning Jackson” and he heard my voice, he started rolling back and forth quickly while making his happy sounds.  Then he stopped and looked at me and smiled!  Ugh, heart melter.  As I picked him up out of his bed I realized something, Jackson just told me he loved me.  Or rather he showed me.  Either way, he didn’t have to say it for me to get the message.  I started thinking about this and how we all want to hear people say to us “I love you.”  This new lesson my son taught me this week is this – showing someone you love them is just as, if not more, important than saying the words.  So to all of you out there, show someone you love them today.  And do it without saying the words.  Then ask them later if they got the message.  If they did, tell them it was a gift from Jackson.  The kid is smarter than most of us out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment